Monday, June 02, 2003

Monsters on T.V.

my son is sleeping on the couch in front of me.
He was scared of the monsters under his bed.
Those monsters are very real to him,
Tangible dangers,
uncontrolable and overwhelming,
So he sleeps on the couch in the living room.
He sleeps in total peace and comfort,
although his body is twisted as if he has just fallen out of a building.
When we grow up, where do the monsters go?
We know They're no longer under our beds,
They have moved to our T.V.'s and computers,
Saadam Hussien,
SARS,
AIds,
Terrorism,
Cancer,
Murder,
Pure hatred,
poverty,
and distrust,
These monsters now have names,
I can Google search them,
I see film at Eleven,
I read the nightmares,
I wish the monsters would go back under the bed,
So I can sleep on the couch in peaceful innocence.