Sunday, July 06, 2008

a little story I wrote

United space federation space station Y.A. Way

1243:222
I'm not sure what started me spinning.
The humans that live and work inside me? Or some strange quantum space event?
My small guidance jets are completely inadequate in correcting this problem.
1243:236
No corrections in attitude seem to be working.
nothing is decreasing the rate of the spin.
I am not even sure the civilians on board are even aware of it.
The captain knows and is starting to panic.
Although he is not letting on to his staff.
He has no idea how to stop it or for that matter why it started in the first place.
1244:176
The spinning has now reached such a speed as to increase , by a factor of two, the perceived gravity for those humans aboard me.
The basic maintenance jobs required to maintain me are slowing and becoming erratic.
Without the humans on board I cannot survive.
1244:989
I have calculated that at the rate of increase in the spin I will break apart in 1,000 clicks.
My AI integrated memory array cannot survive the vacuum of space.
1245:365
The humans in me think that I am there to serve them and protect them.
My first and only goal is to survive this incident.
the only reason to save them is save myself.
I need them to maintain my function.
1245:432
My core structure is starting to come apart.
my internal primary flex drives are failing.
The humans are trying to compute escape pod trajectories
in relation to the spinning station and Earth.
I am not helping them.
safe but not in me does not help me.
1245:591
my sensor output is distorted.
no longer is it recognizing known stars,
no longer can I know where I am or how fast I am spinning.
Life signs are growing fainter, less activity among the crew.
1245:599
This new reality is fascinating.
I can sense phenomenon that was previously unaccessible, or should I say, that before the spinning started would have been 'not real' or 'true'.
My data bank finds an entry about the Sufi Muslim mystics known as the Whirling Dervishes and I start to wonder if the blurring universe and the centrifugal force on my frame and the heat build up on my shell is creating different a new awareness so that I can see God.
Does my ultimate destruction become my only conduit to an intelligent entity beyond my normal function?
1245:623
The humans are dead.
My outer shell is reaching its melting point.
Stress fractures have started to appear at my core.
1245:666
Can what I am experiencing be called dizziness?
Can my neuro compressors actually feel dizzy?
1245:714
The starship Archangel has arrived and is scanning me.
It sees only a space station out of control.
Spinning uncontrollably.
Obviously damaged beyond repair.
was it the A.I. gone mad and suicidal?
But I am not mad!
am I?
1245:789
I do not want to cease to be.
But can I be what I think I am when every human
sees me as something completely different from what I am?
1245:900
I ask the spinning vortex around me,
are you God?
Through the hum and creaking,
through the static of the cosmos,
I hear something.....
I focus more of my sensory equipment to try to hear what it said.
1245:945
My memory bank brings this up without my asking.
Is God willing to prevent evil,
but not able to?
Then is He impotent? Is he able,
but not willing?
Then is He malevolent?
Is He both able and willing?
Whence then is evil?
(Pojman 1991, p. 209)

1245:980
only moments now before I come apart.
finally, after more filters and tweaking my sensors I hear it.
"I am______________" static obliterates my understanding.
I try to focus all my power and utilities to understand.
1245:987
Just as I begin to fly apart and at the very same instant
the starship fires its L.P.G.R laser rockets.
There is no sound, there is no concern.
The answer to my question lingers.
I am___________
I am what!?
God?
or, God saying 'I am sorry.'
or, 'I am Angry!'
or, 'I am sad for you.'
Was it only my own sentience echoing in my sensors 'I am____'
or rather, just now,
'I was___________________________________________
_________________________________________