Tuesday, September 11, 2007



Thoughts on this 9/11

Driving on the BQE heading for the Brooklyn Bridge,
I sit in traffic, rain coming down,
I look out my window at lower Manhattan,
And it struck me,
The skyline didn't look strange any more!
No longer did there appear to be a huge blank space
where the towers stood,
A sadness came over me,
Was I forgetting?
On the radio, NPR was asking the question,
"What have we learned from 9/11?"
Their answer was Fear,
distrust of our government,
Better ways to build skyscrappers!
Not that we face an enemy,
That we are in a war for civilzation,
A clip of a congressman asking General Patreus,
"Why are we there?"
and "Is Al Qaeida a threat to us?"
As I drove past ground zero I heard the
bagpipes playing Amazing grace,
People walking out of the hole in the ground,
was it tears or just the rain on their faces?
On that day the sky was a brilliant blue,
Today, as the memory fades,
The sky is crying for us all.